Saturday, August 15, 2015

HST Day 5 and 6

DAY 5:

   Since the previous day had really taken a toll on the knees of the group and we had an extra day built into the trip we decided to hang out at the Kern Campsite. The fact that there is a wonderful hot spring there helped make the decision a bit easier.

There was someone in it so I didn't get any close up shots like a creeper but that wooden structure on the right houses a cement tub which is fillable to the height and temperature you want.
I spent most of the day writing in my trip journal and taking photographs.




I'd slept under the stars the night before and it was wonderful.
Since fires were allowed here we burned a morning fire just for kicks. 
As I was tending to the morning fire I turned around and in the Manzanita bushes right behind me was a 5 foot timber rattlesnake.

Tail in this shot.

He's kind of hard to spot on account of being camouflaged for the environment but his head is in this shot.
Sorry about the crummy/awful/regrettable camera work on this video but I was trying to keep my distance and one eye on him.




In this particular camp we had the backcountry luxury of a toilet. These were the views.

How can you beat that?
To be honest I was a bit anxious sitting around all day but it was a good rest and I think it really benefitted the moral of the group.

   Towards evening we started to notice a hazy smoke that filled into the canyon. It smelled strongly and made the air a little acrid. Word around the camp was that the fire was far enough away to be no threat to us, the wind was just blowing the smoke up the canyon.


Day 6:

We resumed the hike. I was curious how the rest would affect us and whether or not it would be a good decision to waste a day lying around. I had hoped to put ourselves close to Mt Whitney with a day to spare in case the conditions weren't conducive to a climb but that day was now spent.
    The morning started out with the most level trail of the trip for a lovely 7.8 miles along the Kern River. The smoke still lingered so the photographs aren't that great from this day. Once I made it to Junction Meadow I took a break like I did at all junctions. I sat down in a lovely campsite and took a few shots.



 As I was sitting there eating more trail mix and bars (all I packed for lunches) I could swear I heard a whistling noise so I wrote a poem in my trail journal.

Junction Meadow:
This meadow isn’t.
More a plateau. 
Certainly a junction between;
creeks, canyons, rivers, trails.
This junction serenades me.
Trees click in soft breezes
as an old bearded man in a wide brimmed hat whistles
an aimless tune in a major key
Always in a major key.
As Matt came wandering up 30 minutes later he was whistling. Then Joe 15 minutes after Matt, also whistling. Adam 5 minutes later also whistling.

It was that kind of morning.

I told the guys that there was a big climb coming up from 8kft to 10+Kft in the next 4 miles. We set out up to Wallace Creek where we would join with the John Muir Trail and the Pacific Crest Trail. The climb was pretty tough since it was a hot smoky day but there were no storms on the horizon and we made it soon enough.

Kern Point and another distant long cascading waterfall.

Looking south into the smoke filled canyon we'd just climbed out of.

North the smoke wasn't as bad.

Matt resting at a junction and waiting for the TX boys.
Once we made it to Wallace creek there was a much different mood in the air. Things became a lot more crowded with the joining of the 3 trails. With the crowds there was more noticeable litter and noise. Since we'd gotten an early start and had a solid day of hiking we were there early enough to pick a prime spot near a meadow and the creek.




The sun set on a good day of hiking, we ate more dehydrated food and retired early. There are no campfires allowed over 10,200 ft because of the presence of the Foxtail Pine which is only found in 2 places in the world and is a close relative of the bristlecone pine. The trees can be up to 3,000 years old and their rings are excellent indicators of climactic events during their lifetime. All that combines to mean the parks don't want you collecting them or harming them for fires.

-RYAN

1 comment:

Fabulous Featherette said...

Ryan, your photos are amazing.What an adventure.I am enjoying reading about it.